Had CT guided biopsy of my omentum. Can I have an internal bleed from it? Why is there pain above pelvic bone?

I had a CT guided biopsy of my omentum six days ago and the area around where the needle went in now has a lot of fluid around it, which moves and feels jelly like when I walk. Could this be from an XXXXXXX bleed from the biopsy site? I had an ultra sound and the radiographer could not tell what it was, but she did say there was good blood flow in my pelvic region. My bloods were fine and did not show an infection. My doctor is not sure what it is and said not to worry and it will disperse naturally. I did have a burst cyst (4 weeks ago) and there was lot of fluid in my abdomen from that, but this is different - that fluid did'nt feel like jelly - this fluid is not seeping into my right thigh and my right pelvic area is bulging compared to the left. The biopsy was taken from the right side, my burst cyst was on the left. I have a CA125 of 1500 and the biopsy was for Ovarian cancer, I am 43. Can anyone shed any light on this? I also have a sharp pain just above my pelvic bone and a bit higher from time to time (2-3 times a day)
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

If an experienced radiologist had done the biopsy guided under CT scan there would be a rare chance to puncture any blood vessel. Hence there may not be any bleed because of the biospy.

It would have been good if you have uploaded the details of the procedure done as a line about omental biopsy is too short information to comment on.

I am happy that the risky possibilities are ruled out like that of the infection, gangrene of the bowel. Radiographer ruled out the later and clear blood tests ruled out the former.

Sometimes there can be re accumulation of the fluid in the cyst which can feel heavy for the person carrying it. The second possibility is liquification of the pad of fat after a procedure. Omentum is loaded with heavy fat it can give you a feel of a jelly. However it is well contained within the peritoneal wall hence does not seep through.

I agree with your doctor that this subsides on their own and not a major concern for a physician. Your main concentration should be on the biopsy report and the action plan on the increased CA 125 markers. Was it labelled a simple ovarian cyst?. The fluid is absorbed by itself by the peritoneum and then the pain subsided on itself.

Please use any answer clarification before you close this discussion and rate the answer.