Had CT Scan of brain and report read to have atrophy ober the convexity. Meaning?

May 2014

Hi I had a ct scan of my brain and though most seems normal I read on the report that I have atrophy of over the convexity could you possibly tell me what that might mean
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Atrophy is due to aging.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

As we grow older, the brain cells undergo aging, which is a normal process. As you might be aware, the brain contains millions of nerve cells. With aging, the nerve cells shrink and the entire brain decreases in volume. The impressions on the brain surface (sulci and gyri) also become prominent. The brain is encased inside the cranium or skull vault and the cranium , as its made of bone, the skull does not decrease in size with aging.

As a consequence, when the brain volume decreases, more of fluid fills up the cranium. This is clearly appreciated on CT scan brain as black fluid around the grey brain. This fluid bathes the surface of brain on outer sides (also known as convexities). This is a finding seen in atrophy or aging of the brain. There are also fluid containing spaces known as ventricles in the brain. They also enlarge due to aging.

In simple words, your brain is showing imaging features of aging. There is nothing to worry if your cognitive functions and mental activities are within normal range.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr. Vivek
Follow-up: Had CT Scan of brain and report read to have atrophy ober the convexity. Meaning? 29 minutes later
Am i allowed to send in the reports on both my back MRI and the Report of the CT scan? the reason for these test is I have been falling a lot lately and I just can't figure out why if it might help I can also send my referral to a neurologist but I can't even see him until the end of the month. Thank you for your help

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please attach MRI back and CT brain reports.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us with an update.

I would surely be delighted to see your MRI scan back and CT scan brain reports.
We can discuss relevant findings in detail.

You may please upload the reports by yourself on the right side of this query page. There is a feature for the same.

Waiting for an update from your end.

Dr. Vivek