Had C-section, bleeding, expressing breast milk. Want to know if it is safe to have intercourse without any precautions now?

Question
Would like to know if it's safe to have intercourse without any precautions now? Do not want to get pregnant so fast.
Just after c-sec on 8th Feb 2012. The lochia blood will last for how long as I'm not sure if it's the lochia blood or my period started as still have some blood flow every now and then.
Currently I express breastmilk for my baby and mixed with formula.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 1 hour later

Lochia blood usually stops by 4 weeks.

If you are not exclusively breastfeeding (mixing breasfeed with fromula) than you need to use contraceptive in order to avoid unwanted pregnancy. You can use progesterone only oral contraceptive pills / injections in consultation with your Gynecologist. Your partner can use condom meanwhile.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Follow-up: Had C-section, bleeding, expressing breast milk. Want to know if it is safe to have intercourse without any precautions now? 3 hours later
Progesterone pill is postinor 2? Would this contraceptive pill affect breast milk? If I had unprotected intercourse but was ejaculated outside n I'm at 5th week after delivery, I'm exposed to unwanted pregnancy?

Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Postinor 2 is emergency contraceptive pill and not regular contraceptive pill. Progesterone only pills do not affect breast milk. Ejaculation outside i,e withdrawl method is not reliable with failure rate uoto 30%. Since it is post 5 weeks of delivery chances of pregnancy are less.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.

Follow-up: Had C-section, bleeding, expressing breast milk. Want to know if it is safe to have intercourse without any precautions now? 5 hours later
as I didn't take regular contraceptive pill, is postinor 2 a progesteron pill that can be taken now & won't affect breast milk?

Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 5 hours later

Postinor 2 is not a progesterone only pill (pop) which is taken on regular basis. It is a emergency contraceptive pill to be taken within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse. You should consult your local doctor for the prescription of pop or injections.

You can take postinor 2 now, provided that 72 hours has not elapsed after the sexual intercourse. Postinor 2 has no effects on breast milk.

Follow-up: Had C-section, bleeding, expressing breast milk. Want to know if it is safe to have intercourse without any precautions now? 5 days later
Hi, I have bleeding which I believe is my 1st period after delivery. Does this means I'm not pregnant even though I have unprotected sexual intercourse?

If your bleeding is like periods it means you are not pregnant. To be sure get examined by Gynecologist.