Had Bennett's fracture. Do I need surgery to fix this or a cast is fine?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had a bennetts fracture, as you can see from my x-rays I sent, my question is do you think I need surgery to fix this or would a cast be just fine, from just looking at the x-rays I sent, please tell me who you are, an your expertise on this particular subject, thank you so much.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 3 hours later

I'm Dr. Atul Wankhede and I'm an orthopaedic surgeon trained in all types of trauma and bony injuries.

Thanks for posting your xray. As it looks minimally displaced, in my opinion you may consider a spika cast and serial xrays over a period of 6 to 8 weeks. The usual protocol in 1st metacarpal base fracture is less than or nearly 1mm displacement of fracture fragments can be dealt with a thumb spika, 1-3 mm may require K-wire fixation, and anything more displaced needs open reduction-fixation.

Let your orthopaedician have a final decision since he must clinically evaluate you for functional loss and other complications. Do not forget to start physiotherapy once the plaster is out.

Hope you find this helpful. If you need more help, I'm available for follow up.

Good luck.