Had 2 strokes, recently had foot surgery. Having labored breathing and dosing on and off. Suggest?

My husband had 2 strokes in the past, he recently had foot surgery and it appears that his breathing is labored and he has been dosing on and off every since, Could the surgery or anesthesia have caused this.
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
when was the foot surgery done?

Detailed Answer:

It is possible that the labored breathing and dosing off on and off could be due to the anesthesia. This is possible only if his foot surgery was done, say, not more than 72 hours ago. If this time has lapsed, then it is less likely an effect of anesthesia or surgery.

How is his general health status otherwise? Is he conscious, alert, oriented to time, space, and place? If this is normal, there is nothing serious to worry.

In my view, it is better to get an appointment for follow up consultation with the operating surgeon or his primary care physician at his office.

Please review the surgery notes and any complications during the procedure.

More information from your end you help me to guide you specifically.

Follow-up: Had 2 strokes, recently had foot surgery. Having labored breathing and dosing on and off. Suggest? 12 hours later
Hi Thanks for your time. The foot surgery was done on August 16, 2013 at 7:30a. It was 1hr 45min. He was dosing on and off as of Sunday Aug 18. His general health is fair to good. He has been in a lot of pain since the strokes but he deals with it. The foot surgery was to minimize some of the pain since having the strokes. His HBP and diabetes is under control. He was showing some of the behavior he showed after he had the stroke such as confusion and repeating. I was very concern that the surgery left him at risk. He did deny having problems with breathing. He did seem somewhat out of breath. Thanks again for your response.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Closely monitor his vitals

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the additional information.

The foot surgery has definitely taken a toll on your husband's general health.

I am glad the BP and Diabetes are under control.

Now, please request his treating doctor to order a plain x-ray PA view of your husband's chest along with coagulation profile that includes PT, APTT and INR. If these investigations are normal, your husband is out of danger.

In the meantime, please give him good chest physiotherapy. This helps in getting out the pent up secretions in the respiratory tract. Steam inhalation thrice a day would help too.

Closely monitor his vitals - you could request a home nurse to check his pulse, BP, oxygen saturation every 2 hours.

With these measures, your husband should recover quickly.

I must appreciate your concern towards your husband. Take care and wish both of you good health.