Ask a Urologist   »  

Had 104cc of urine left after voiding during ultrasound. Urine culture showed E coli infection. Strong odor and cloudy urine. Cause?

Question
Ct scan of abdomen and pelvis was normal. Ultrasound od bladder and kidney also normal. Kidney function was perfect. But i had 104cc of urine left after voiding during ultrasound . A culture showed E coli infection that has been recurring since May. Symptoms are strong odor and cloudy urine. Would a eurodynamics test be beneficial ? And what causes this retention??
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Urodynamic studies

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking.

As all your structural tests are normal ( CT and Ultrasound) the only reason for the residual urine and the the resultant infection leading to strong odour and colour can be the abnormalities of the urine flow.

Urodynamic studies look for the potential cause of the dynamic problem of the bladder like the weak walls, neurological cause of the low contractility, problems with the XXXXXXX sphincter etc.

I will strongly suggest you to go for the urodynamic studies to reach the diagnosis.

Thanks.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Follow-up: Had 104cc of urine left after voiding during ultrasound. Urine culture showed E coli infection. Strong odor and cloudy urine. Cause? 7 hours later
Thank you for replay. I will certainly give this serious thought. Keep you informed,

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Thanks

Detailed Answer:
Thanks, Please keep me posted.

Follow-up: Had 104cc of urine left after voiding during ultrasound. Urine culture showed E coli infection. Strong odor and cloudy urine. Cause? 2 hours later
How are these suspected conditions treated, surgery, meds ??

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cause???

Detailed Answer:
It will all depend on the cause of the condition,some conditions are well controlled with medicines while the some conditions needs surgery.

Follow-up: Had 104cc of urine left after voiding during ultrasound. Urine culture showed E coli infection. Strong odor and cloudy urine. Cause? 8 minutes later
That's what i assumed. Thank you, I'll keep you posted. See my urologist tmwr.

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 35 hours later
Brief Answer:
sure, anytime

Detailed Answer:
Please keep me posted and take care.