HTN, taken Norvasc, Approvel, Omega 3, iron, calcium. Weight loss reduces LVH?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Hello, I have HTN since 2008 and had my stress-test and echocardiogram in July 2008 my cardiologist said I had LVH at 2.64 gm. yesterday 31st of May 2011, I had another stress test and echocardiogram and my doctor said my heart is healthy but my LVH has increased by 3.56 gm. since 2008 when I was first diagnosed I am Taking Norvasc 5mg and Approvel 150mg. along with my Omega 3, Iron and Calcium supplements since my calcium is a bit low. I was 119 KG 3 years ago and now I am 93 kg and I know I need to lose like 20-25 kilos more but my question is that if I loose all these weight will my LVH be lessen or go away? I am exercising daily or 4 times a week at least on my treadmill at 5.5 km./hr for 45 minutes heart rate at 140 BPM.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 23 hours later

Your LVH will be multifactorial and mostly due high blood pressure and partly due to obesity. You are good BP medicines but you did not mention what happened to your blood pressure. Has it come to target of at least 140/90mmHg.

Loosing weight may only maginally might reduce your LVH but it would not completely make it normal. Most important aspect is Blood pressure control and BP medicines. If BP is not in target range you need to increase your medicines under your physician guidance. If your blood pressure has been under control all this time since 2008 and your LVH is increasing there would be a role switching the class of medicines to class called ACE inhibitors.

Also though weight loss may not lead to significant regression of LVH it would definately make your blood pressure control easy and offer many other benifits, so please continue your efforts to loose weight.

Hope I answered your query, let me know if you have any more queries.

Follow-up: HTN, taken Norvasc, Approvel, Omega 3, iron, calcium. Weight loss reduces LVH? 2 days later
My present blood pressure is averagely at 125/83 and at rest 105/68 heart rate from 65 to 90 BPM...the reason I know because I have OMRON personal wrist BP machine which I use at least twice or 3 times daily and it takes the average on a weekly and monthly basis. Is LVH mainly the reason why for the last 5 years on my yearly check-ups my ESR are on the range of 39 - 45? or is it my arthritis because I have arthritis... Thank you...By the way is losing 10 KG for 3 months healthy for my heart
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 7 hours later

Your BP is under good control. The blood pressure should not be reason for your high ESR. It's most likely due to your arthritis.

Loosing 10kg in 3 months is little stiff and difficult target but no health related concerns.

All the best.