HSV1, no symptoms in child, partner, no cold sores, test reading shows HSV1 antibodies, older infection. Treatment ?

Hello, I have been diagnosed with HSV1 recently. I am a HS teacher and eat after students frequently. My wife has not shown any symptoms nor has my 10 month old son. I have not had sex with anybody and my fertlity doctor tested me back in Feb 2009 and it was negative. I have never had a cold sore or a legion. But my last test read 3.75 percent HSV1 antibodies. My doctor says it was an older infection or exposure. I have kissed over 60 women in my lifetime b4 my girlfreind and wife of 11 years. How did I get this virus? and could it have been dormant for 11 years or more?. and how come my wifes OBgyn did not catch it or our fertility doctor?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

It is conceivable that if you kissed 60 women that the likelihood that you encountered the HSV virus is close to 100 percent. It is also possible that your antibody level at the initial screening evaluation was just below the detectable limit.

HSV is a very tricky virus - stays dormant mainly, resides just under the skin in the nerves and can come out in the form of a rash in times of stress. In addition the virus is quite easily transmitted which explains why over 50% of the population has the HSV type 1.

Generally there is no indication to screen a pregnant woman for HSV 1. I dont know why a fertility doctor would check for it either. I am sure you picked it up previously long before you met your wife and that it has been kept under control by your immune system. This virus will have no effect on your fertility or the length and quality of your life - rest assured that this is the case.

I thank you again for the query and hope my response proves to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga