HSV 1 transmitted through breathing?

Is HSV 1 oral transmitted by breathing, i.e., if a by Igg test result of 1 can the person spread HSV 1 while breathing no matter where they walk, etc.? Is HSV1 airborne?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 28 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

HSV 1 usually causes oral herpes and can also cause genital herpes. Testing positive for the IGg TEST means that there was past infection.

You may be a carrier for the virus. The virus goes through various phases-

asymptomatic, symptomatic, latency and recurrence.

You may be in the latency phase, if there are no symptoms as yet.

The virus is contagious but not air borne. It usually transmits via direct contact. If you have any oral ulcers etc, you may consult a dermatologist or Sexually transmitted disease specialist. Medical treatment is available.

However, if you are a carrier of the virus, then any form of contact like sharing food, towels etc, saliva etc can infect another person. So please be aware.

However, breathing in the same vicinity doesnt transmit herpes.

Hope I have answered your query. Do write back if you have any further questions.

Follow-up: HSV 1 transmitted through breathing? 1 hour later
One more particular: auto-inoculation is very rare, however, if someone is asymptomatic carrier of HSV 1 Oral can touching their saliva and then touching a break in the skin somewhere else on the body result in auto-inoculation?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 18 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Auto inoculation may occur in the same person, but its more common during primary infection. If the viral load is high, transmission is easier.

In an asymptomatic carrier, usually the latent phase is present, where the antibodies have already formed in the body. In such cases, though its rare, self spread may occur sometimes depending on the viral load.

I hope, this helps to solve your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: HSV 1 transmitted through breathing? 10 hours later
I understand that during the Primary Episode of Oral HSV1 self/auto-inoculation can take place. BUT what I am trying to sort out is: is self/auto-inoculation the result of touch an HSV1 Cold Sore (aka Herpes lesion/infection) and through no other means or can the infected Saliva if touched by the carrier cause self/auto-inoculation? If Saliva cannot cause auto/self-inoculation is that because of the high level of the antibodies? From your 1st answer: what is your definition of "not airborne?"
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 5 hours later
Hello again,

'Not air borne' means that the virus cannot be transmitted by air. In other words, it can only be transmitted by direct contact. Breathing in the vicinity of an infected person cannot cause infection in an uninfected person.

About the other point, any form of contact, even in the same individual, can cause self inoculation. For example, if you touch a cold sore/lesion on your lip, tongue, mouth etc. there is always a chance of self infection. Now whether the self inoculation will occur, will depend on the viral load in the body. If the viral load in the saliva is high, then there is a chance of auto inoculation. Especially if you have a break in the skin where your saliva/cold sore is touching. In a carrier state, normally, viral load is less than in primary infection. As there are antibodies formed already, viral load is less in the carrier state.

Hope I cleared your doubts. If you have more doubt, please do get back to me.