HSG test done. Started lower abdominal pain. Tested negative for kidney infection. What is going on?

I had a HSG test done last Monday, October 29th and it was extremely painful when the rad blew up the balloon on my cervix. I didn't go to work for the day after and by Thursday, i was completely bed ridden again with pain running through my lower abdomen and even on my side. My OBGYN made me come in on Friday to get antibiotics and said that it must be a infection- she did test me for kidney/bladder infection but said it was negative.
i took a shot in my buttocks and have been on another antibiotic since Friday and am still on 20% better pain wise. I came back to work today, tuesday, and have been miserable with feeling so much pain/pressure in my lower stomach. should i get a 2nd opinion, go to the ER? or what is going on??? also the RAD said that my tubes werent blocked
Posted Mon, 26 Nov 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

There is no harm in taking a second opinion if you are not satisfied and relieved with your first one.

Reasons of pain experienced during HSG are related with the phase of the procedure like cervical instrumentation, uterine distension with contrast media, and peritoneal irritation a result of contrast spill into the peritoneal cavity.

Persistent pain after HSG could be due to serious causes like perforation of uterus. There is a small chance of damaging or puncturing the uterus or fallopian tubes during the test. This presents with abdominal pain and vaginal bleeding.

Also there is a small chance of an allergic reaction to the iodine X-ray XXXXXXX if used causing chemical peritonitis.
This can present with sever abdominal pain,fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal tenderness.

The third possibility could be a pelvic infection or flaring up of a pelvic infection which was already present.

You should continue with your antibiotics. But if you have any of the symptoms like heavy vaginal bleeding, fever, severe abdominal pain, vomiting,diarrhea or your pain increases then you should go to the ER.

Also ultrasound would be useful in ruling out the above complications of HSG.

Since your gynecologist has reviewed you after HSG, I presume she must have taken into account all these possibilities.
So she started you on antibiotic keep infection as the possibility.
Anti inflammatory drugs would also help in reducing your pain.

I hope I have answered your query.

Kindly revert back if further queries remain.