HPT negative, possibility of pregnancy during period ?

Hi! I was just wondering ... I´ve done a HPT today, I should be 20 days past ovulation, it came negative, what is the possibility to be pregnant? I am worried that pregnancy test (urine) are not accurate enough.Is it possible to conceive during my period? This was the only time I had sex and my doctor told me you should be covered for 5 days since your period started.Thanks for your time
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Your doctor was right in pointing out that the chances of getting pregnant are minimal for the first five days of your cycle considering the day your periods started as day1. If you had sex during your periods then your chances of getting pregnant are remote.
The pregnancy test that you have carried out is highly sensitive and specific and rarely comes false negative.The kit is quite accurate. You can double check the results by repeating the test after three days with the early morning first sample of urine or going for serum beta- hcg levels.
You need to wait for your normal periods to start.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.