HIV test syringe, infected with HIV, thyroid illness, ELISA test

Hi, may I answer your he
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Thanks for your query,

No, Thyroid illness or the treatment for the same do not have any effect on HIV testing.

Yes, 4 months is a enough time for HIV infection to be determined by ELISA or Western blot test.

Symptoms of HIV are as follows :

A illness like viral fever ( flu ) with symptoms like fever and chills, joint and muscle pain,headache, rashes etc will be presented at the time of seroconversion which is production of antibodies( body's defense substance) by the body to the optimally divided virus ( optimal number ). This usually takes 3 to 6 months after infection to develop ,very rarely about 2 to 3% can develop the above illness early may be after at 3 to 4 weeks after exposure this is called "Acute Retroviral syndrome ".

After the above illness the patient will be absolutely be normal for years except with some skin rashes and oral ulcerations , Its only when the CD4 levels ( the cells which are affected by the HIV virus ) drops down the person will get infected with various opportunistic infections like TB , Candidiasis , pneumonia etc presenting the symptoms typically seen in these infections.

The weakly positive P24 line in western blot could be a laboratory artifact.I would consider you to be negative and need no more test to explore your HIV status.

If you still want your self to be completely clear to get off the anxiety then the best test would be by getting P24antigen assay and PCR test .Once if you get them negative then there is no turning back.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.