HIV test report. Result reading?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello, i did a HIV test in Caracas Ven, and the results are 0,06 COI and reactive is >= 0,25 and non reactive is < 0,25, from what i understand, i'm not reactive, can you help me confirm these results, thank you i appreciate your help.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 25 minutes later

It would be good if you provide some more details to guide you better.

1. Have you had history of unprotected sexual intercourse recently?

2. Is there any recent history of needle-prick or blood transfusion?

3. Do you have chronic cough, weight loss or any swellings in the body?

According to the HIV test, the HIV antibodies are non-reactive. I have to mention, however that there is a period where HIV may not be detected called 'Window Period'. This period occurs during 4-6 months after exposure to risk factor.

So if the HIV antibody test was done during the period of 4 months from the exposure, it can show up negative. So you will need to repeat the HIV test after 4-6 months of the exposure of risk factor to confirm that you are negative indeed.

So confirmation of negative result indicates another HIV test to be done after 4-6 months of exposure.

If you are exposed to needle-prick in healthcare profession, you should consult the authority incharge and get post-exposure prophylaxis immediately to reduce chance of developing AIDS.

I hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: HIV test report. Result reading? 8 hours later
Hello and thanks for your help.

I haven't have unprotected sexual intercouse recently (not in the last week), also i haven't have any needle or blood transfusion, no chronic cough or weight loss and no swelling on any part of my body. I did the hiv test because four months ago i had sexual relations with a girl without protection, and i only want to get out of my mind the risk of having a disease because that day, but i'm going to do the test in about two more months, I'm suffering from Multiple sclerosis since 2008 and i used a medicine call tysabri. The results make think because they were 0,06 and they use the term non reactive. But i appreciate if you tell me why they said 0,06 non reactive instead of saying negative. Thanks for your help again and have a good day.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 4 hours later

In such a case they have done antibody detection test. So they have discovered only 0.06 titre of antibodies which is insignificant to call infection and means no infection. Nowadays most of the antibody tests come this way.

It clearly states that there is no HIV virus in the body, if it were there the immune response would be much higher to detectable levels.

But since you are on a drug which can depress the immune response it would be wise to get a HIV confirmatory test done like Western Blot or p24 antigen assay as this does not measure immune response which can be influenced by Tysabri but detects the actual proteins of HIV virus which will not be influenced.