HIV test positive. Information on herpes, smoking marijuana, chickenpox causes HIV?

i need some information about hiv testing postive. I recently (8/20/2011) got tested for Hiv and tested postive but i also looked up some information about other reasons that might make the HIV test postive such as herpes, smoking marijuana, and even having chiken pox before. I have been too scared to get tested again to confirm and this was about a year ago that i had the last test. I think i am having the symtops of hiv patients but i want to know the estimated life spand of someone my age with a year tested positive of hiv.
Posted Sun, 8 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rudramani Swami 18 hours later

It is not right to remain silent about the HIV status after initial positive results. Please do not waste time by browsing internet.

Transmission of HIV occurs by sexual intercourse,blood transfusion, organ transplantation(if donor is in window period),needle stick injury from infected patients,drug addicts(sharing same needle)parent to child transmission,in very few cases (about 2 to 3 % of cases) is not known.

If I were your treating physician at this stage i would recommend you to do CD4 count and viral load,which will tell us regarding underlying immunity damage after confirming your HIV positive status with western blot test.

Depending on CD4 count (if it is less than 350) and in case if you have any opportunistic infection then irrespective of CD 4 count (even if it is more than 350) i would recommend you to start on combined antiretroviral therapy(cART) after consulting your treating physician.

So please don't worry because if you take this cART with good adherence, you can live good life for another 40 years. You have not mentioned your symptoms here, it is not right to judge the life span without fighting against it. The best therapy is available if you head early to your nearest doctor.

I hope i have answered your query,i will be available for further queries if any