HIV positive patient. CT scan showed non-necrotic mediastinal lymphadenopathy. Is there a possibility of TB ?

Hello Doctor,

I’m a HIV positive patient with CD4 count 67 /μl and viral load 0000 copies/ml. i had occasional pain in the right side of my abdomen ( 3 times in last 6 months). I suffered herpes zoster a year ago.

I went to doctor to get ART . he wanted me to get a CT scan of chest done.

The CT scan showed that I have non-necrotic mediastinal lymphadenopathy ( report attached.)

I absolutely do not have cough , do not get fever , my weight is stable from last 3 years, no night chills, and I have healthy apatite.

My questions are

1) Is there a possibility of TB ? what are the chances? How to test it further.

2) If I have TB , can I take ART and medicine for TB together.?

I’ve appointment with doctor tomorrow. However your opinion will be really helpful to me.

Thanks in advance.

Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 19 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
We understand your anxiety. We have a pulmonologist working on your query and would be providing you with an answer as soon as get one. You would be able to see it in your dashboard.
I could sense that you probably wanted a few answers before your appointment tomorrow, and thats why I am writing to you.
a. Given your CT scan findings, there is a possibility of TB. Other reasons could be pneumonia or some neoplasm as well. The chances of you having TB are fair but the fact but the fact that you have absolutely no symptoms goes against this. Further tests that are needed include a Sputum for AFB and culture and PCR for detecting the mycobacteria.
b. Yes , you can take ART and anti-tubercular therapy simultaneously. Usually, we give rifabutin instead of rifampicin as a part of ATT in HIV positive patients to minimize drug interactions with ART.
Hope this helps
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.