HIV positive, bleeding from head and have seizure. Possibility of getting HIV from body contact?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi I had a HIV positive customer fall and hit his head and have a seizure. I am not sure he was bleeding from his head but he was from his mouth. I held his head down cause he kept banging it on the ground. I was away from his blood but when I got back I noticed I had a small hair of his stuck in my hand. It was like a splinter. I was able to get blood out when I squeezed really hard and even then It was just a red dot is there a chance I can get HIV. I was never in contact with his blood.
Posted Fri, 11 Jan 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.
It is impossible to get HIV through hair.
So you need not worry about acquiring HIV.
If you are very apprehensive about that, get yourself tested after 3 and 6 months.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: HIV positive, bleeding from head and have seizure. Possibility of getting HIV from body contact? 8 hours later
What if the hair has blood on it from his head falling on the ground and then it was stuck on me sort of like a needle. Would a strand of hair have enough blood on it before getting stuck or would the blood have rubbed off the hair while rubbing my palm before entering my hand. Also, could it have gone XXXXXXX enough to enter my blood stream. It was very much like a splinter where I was able to get a tiny tiny amount of blood by squeezing really really hard.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 12 hours later
It is very unlikely for hair to pierce the skin and transmit blood and the virus.
Even with a needle prick the risk is very low.
It is very unlikely for that blood to have gone in to your blood stream.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: HIV positive, bleeding from head and have seizure. Possibility of getting HIV from body contact? 5 minutes later
Okay so just to calm my nerves your saying even if the hair had blood on it and pierced my skin their is an extremely small chance of getting infected with HIV in the manner?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 minute later
Yes, the risk is almost negligible.
I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini