HIV positive. Pregnant. Prescribed atripla. Safe?

Hi doctor, I

am 18 weeks pregnant and my health care provider (gynecologist) advised that I should take atripla,
Is it safe for me and tne baby to take atripla please advise?
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later

Altripla is not to be used in women in first trimester of pregnancy (12 weeks) as it may cause birth defects in the baby. After that the possibility is really low and can be used if this is thought to be the best by your physician for the HIV.

As you are in 18 weeks of pregnancy, I feel that it may be safe enough but as I said, your physician has to take the final call here.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for further followup queries, if any.