HIV, cirrhosis, no alcohol, count 270. Liver transplant? Nutrition plan?

ENT Specialist
Hi my sister has HIV for 23 years and now her doctor told her she has cirrhosis, she does not drink any alcohol or smoke I know that maybe is because her medication that she taking over the years, what it can be done, can she do transplant of liver, what type of nutrition she needs to follow, is there is any treatment t-count 270 please let me know what are my option to help her. Her Doctor told her there was no treatment that could be done.
Thank you
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

Development of liver cirrhosis in HIV-infected individuals in the antiretroviral therapy era is mainly associated with active HCV co-infection. ( WWW.WWWW.WW .

At this stage, you can go for either palliative treatment (supportive treatment) or Orthotopic Liver transplantation (OLT). And, OLT is planned depending upon Child-Turcotte-Pugh Classification and various other parameters.

The Child-Turcotte-Pugh Classification includes 3 grades based on scores derived from various factors such as Ascites, Encephalopathy, Bilirubin, Albumin and Prothrombin time ( WWW.WWWW.WW . Patients who fall in either A or B category are suitable for OLT. Apart from this, various other parameters are considered before the transplant, such as the patient should be free from malignancy and recent infections, the CD4 count should be >100 cells/mm3, normal electrolyte levels, etc.( WWW.WWWW.WW .

The best diet for someone with cirrhosis is fruits, vegetables, whole grains and proteins of proper types and in proper amounts. In addition, it is a good idea to take daily multivitamin and fat-soluble vitamins (such as vitamins K, A, D, and E). And, better to avoid food containing high fat contents.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar