HIV Test . Generation 4 P-24....Can I take this test

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
HIV Test. Generation 4 P-24....Can I take this test after 14 days of last exposure?

I
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2017 in null

Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can do.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing in healthcare magic.

You can do a 4 th generation HIV test 2 weeks after exposure, but you should know that a 4th generation HIV test 4-6 weeks after exposure is very accurate.
Furthermore, according the recommendations should do a 4th generation HIV test 3 months after exposure as conclusive test.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.

Follow-up: HIV Test . Generation 4 P-24....Can I take this test 32 minutes later
I thought Gen 4 looks for P-24 first couple of weeks and Antibody later after 21 days so 4-6 makes sense but P-24 test at 2 weeks?

Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
the levels of the p24 protein peak at around three to four weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing back.
Sorry for the delay in my answer,

You should know that the p24 antigen test can detect the p24 protein on average 10 to 14 days after infection with HIV.

But, the levels of the p24 protein peak at around three to four weeks after exposure to HIV and that is why it is more accurate to do a 4th generation test 4 weeks after exposure.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.

Follow-up: HIV Test . Generation 4 P-24....Can I take this test 23 minutes later
My concern is:

14 days ago I hooked up with two she male escorts. In there AD, they stated only safe play. I agree with that.. So if felt safe and when I went to there Apartment, I saw a lot of condoms with lubricants. Again felt safe because they use condoms. So fun begin and one girl was riding me with no condom on / rubbing my penis / gridding against her anal.l I was really looped up. It felt like my penis slide in her anus 3 times about 1-2 minute each time. I pushed her off my lap and said condoms only. They both said we always do. I ended session but honestly I am not sure it when in or felt like it. Her back was towards me (Cowgirl) position. My mind changes story in my mind. I always have protected sex with condoms so this has freaked me out. I am always nervous because I know these activities our high risk. I had blood work 3 days by my doctor to check other stuff, white blood count, AC-1, etc and today everything is normal. In my general blood test, would it showed an infection? I also did a HIV-RNA today, waiting results. I plan to do 28 days 4th. I am so stressed out. I did some research, folks say 1/100 chance of getting HIV , less than 1 percent or 1 /1000 chance = 001. This is your specialty, what is your thoughts?

Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 27 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should do a 4 generation HIV test 28 days after exposure.

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry for my late response.

Based on your history, having unprotected anal intercourse you should know that there exists some risk of HIV infection.

Usually, we cannot see the alterations in the full blood count in the early stage of HIV infection.

I suggest doing the 4th generation HIV test 28 days after exposure as well 3 months after as a conclusive test. HIV RNA usually is not recommended to use as a diagnostic test.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.