HCG test, pregnant, pain in abdomen, no yolk sac seen. Chances of miscarriage ?

Question
Dear Madam,
My name is XXXXXXX age-29 yrs, weight-56 KG, Height-5 feet 1 inch. First day of my last menstruation was 21 May, 2011. I came to know that I was conceived while testing HCG at home on 9th July although we have not planned. So on 9th July I have visited a doctor and necessary test for pregnancy was done. I was having some kind of pain in lower abdomen. The Doctor has prescribed me Cheri fol tablets on my first visit.
The Blood and Urine test report are as follows:
My blood group- o +ve
Haemoglobin (Hb)- 12.6 gm %
Random Blood Sugar- 64 mg/dl
Urine routine test
Colour- yellow
Transparency-clear
Protein-Albumin-absent
Sugar-Absent
RBC-Absent
WBC-1-3
Epthelial cells-8-10
Crystals- Absent
Casts- Absent
HCG-
VDRL
Non Reactive

As per the suggestion of Doctor I have undergone ultra sound for obstetrics on 16th July, 2011.
The report of ultrasound Examination is as follows:
Study: Obstetrics
Indication: Early pregnancy

GS= 1.50 CM
MA=5w5d

Intrauterine pregnancy
Single small g/sac
No yolk sac/embryo seen
OS is closed
No adnexal lesion seen on either side
No free fluid seen
MA(LMP): 8w0d
MA(MSD): 5w5d

Impression: Very early intrauterine pregnancy- 5w5d
Suggested follow up scan after 2 wks.
     As per the report Doctor has suggested me for ultrasound after 2 weeks i.e. on 30th July, 2011 and prescribed me the following medicines on 16th July, 2011:

1.     Two nos Injection Lupi HCG 5000…. One on 16th and another on 23rd July,2011
2.     Susten 200 tablets – one tablet thrice a day for two weeks
3.     Papytazyme tablet – one tablet twice a day for two weeks.

This is my first pregnancy and I don’t want to loose it. I am very much worried and waiting for ultrasound to be done on 30th July, 2011. Is this a case of blighted ovum? Am I taking right medicine. Please suggest me what to do?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 24 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for posting your query

First of all you need to be relaxed and kindly avoid any unnecessary stress.

All your reports are within normal range and USG scan shows a small gestational sac which is the first visible thing on USG scan.

Regarding the Yolk sac it usually appears after 5 to 6 weeks and might not be visible initially on the USG scan so a repeat scan has been advised after 2 weeks.

The medications which you have been prescribed are hormone HCG injections which keeps on increasing during the pregnancy every day.

Susten tablets are Progesterone tablets which help in implantation and sustaning pregnancy as it is very necessary during early pregnancy.

Papytazyme is a natural enzyme tablet for bloating,indigestion and gas symptoms.
You can continue taking the medications under medical supervision.

Some suggestions:
1)Have healthy nutritious diet comprising of fruits,salads,pulses,milk,veggies etc.
2)Avoid any kind of stress.
3)Drink lots of water.
4)Take adequate rest and avoid any heavyweight lifting,unnecessary bending etc.

Hope this answers your query.I will be avialble for follow up.

Follow-up: HCG test, pregnant, pain in abdomen, no yolk sac seen. Chances of miscarriage ? 2 hours later

Though I was 8week pregnant on 16th July,11, is the ultra sound report normal?

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 6 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,

Thanks for the follow up

In early pregnancy the dates may not exactly match with the conception date as early USG scans are not so accurate.

A transvaginal scan gives a better idea at this stage. It is also to be co related with HCG and Progesterone levels.

Kindly wait for the follow up scan results after 2 weeks.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing you Good Health.

Follow-up: HCG test, pregnant, pain in abdomen, no yolk sac seen. Chances of miscarriage ? 40 hours later

If the reports are normal as you have said then why I was prescribed the following medicines on 16th July i.e two weeks before follow up scan:
1. Two nos Injection Lupi HCG 5000…. One on 16th and another on 23rd July,2011
2. Susten 200 tablets – one tablet thrice a day for two weeks

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 48 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX,

Thanks again.

These are usual medications prescribed during early pregnancy as HCG helps in implantation and Susten is a hormone which is vital for a succesful pregnancy and recommended in the first trimester to avoid risk of miscarriage.

Wishing you Good health!