HCG, beta subunit qual, serum test done. Should I be concerned about flag abnormal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
hi, yesterday l took a HCG, Beta Subunit Qual, Serum test, and the sheet says the following:
Result: Positive
Flag: Abnormal
Negative <6

l'm concern about the flag abnormal thing, do l need to worry? Does this confirm that l am pregnant?

Thanks
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later

Usually in blood test for pregnancy if the beta HCG levels are above 5 mIU/ml, it indicates the possibility of pregnancy.
If the levels are between 6 to 25mIU/ml, it needs followup test.
Above 25mIU/ml is confirmatory of pregnancy.

So according to your report the following possibilities are there:
-Pregnancy positive means levels above 25.
-Flag abnormal may indicate that though levels are above 25 they may be either below or above the normal range.
-Negative < 6 is saying that below 6 mIU/ml indicates absence of pregnancy. It may be a part of the general lab report, not concerned with your beta HCG levels.

So if the exact value of your beta HCG levels are known we can better understand the report. Try to contact the lab or your doctor they may tell the actual beta HCG levels.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: HCG, beta subunit qual, serum test done. Should I be concerned about flag abnormal? 1 hour later
l'm still not clear weather the test proves that l am pregnant or no?
l'm getting very nervous, please help me

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 11 hours later

Yes, the test is saying that you are pregnant.
But they didn't mention your HCG levels in the report.
Because of that we are not able to analyze why 'flag abnormal' is mentioned.
So you don't worry as it is confirmed that you are pregnant. You once consult the doctor who advised you the test, she can clarify the doubt.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.