HBA test 6.7%, glucose 145.6. Diet recommended?

I am 18 yrs, height 169 cms wieght 57 kgs. Just got my Hba1c results as part of my routine testing as i go abroad for higher studies. The result is 6.7 % with mean glucose 145.6. Is there any cause to worry or diet? No previous history, including my parents or grand parents of diabeties.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 5 hours later

Thanks for the query. I have gone through the reports.

Before I answers your query, I must tell you how we make a diagnosis of Diabetes Mellitus. These definitions are internationally accepted and followed world over including India.

Fasting Blood Sugar >/= 126 or

Post Prandial (2 Hours) Blood Sugar >/= 200 or

Random Blood Sugar >/= 200 with Symptoms such increased thirst/urination, weight loss or

HbA1c >/= 6.4

Now Till few months ago, HbA1c was not used for diagnosis.
However, recently it has been included.

Your HbA1c is 6.7 % and is on higher range though not a diabetic range according to American Diabetic Association protocol. FBS is 78 and is within normal range

What you should do next..?

1. Do not panic.
2. Get a Formal Fasting and 2 hours Post Prandial Blood sugar for better confirmation.
3. Do regular exercise in the mean while

If still sugars are elevated, you must consult your physician for further evaluation and treatment.

Hope this answers your query.

Do get back if you need any further information

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran