Gut surgery gone wrong and sustained a heart attack. Unable to remove fluid from the bottom of lungs. Advise the upcoming complications?

Cardiologist, Interventional

I had gut surgery that went very wrong (fundiplication) I am almost convinced my surgeon has lied to me and I have sustained a heart attack during the procedure, he tells me it was only an arrest for a few beats becausee of vasal vagal reaction to gas pressure, however a theatre nurse told me I should look into it.(she went out of her way to find em and tell me).. I have had very bad health problems ever since but have had the heart checked out throughly, with bubble study for low O2 excercise stress test, Echocardiagram - MRI Heart with contrast - however I seem unable to remove fluid from the bottom of my lungs, which has led to many infections and in turn I now have primary immune deficiancies - what I would like to know is - if he is lying to me and I had a heart attack and I got heart muscle damage - could that stop me from getting fluid out of my lungs... I definately have a shunt as I have been tested with 14% shunt positive shunt study.... I also have had blood gas test with 60 when just awoken and 77 when standing for an hour - could you advise me of complications I may have had if there was a heart attack and if heart can affect the lungs ability to exchange O2 and clear out fluids
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
No major concern if your post op ECG and echo are normal. That means heart attack is very much less likely

Detailed Answer:

It's tough question to answer. However when you have ECG and Echocardiogram that are normal, I would not suspect heart attacks. ECG and Echocardiogram will show up evidence of previous heart attack and post operatively if both are normal it is unlikely that you had heart attack.

In non cardiac surgery brief cardiac arrests can occur; but heart attack per se is very rare.

A cardiac evaluation is recommended even for cardiac arrest to rule out any underlying cardiac illness. If your echo and ECG is normal I don't see any reason for concern.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.