Gurgling sound from the throat, sore throat. Symptoms of sinusitis?

ENT Specialist
I have a gurgling sound that feels like its comming from my thoat and at times it feels like I have a sore thoart. I do not have a sour or any kind a weird taste in the back of my mounth. My sinus seems to be bothering me a little more than usual. Any insight would be helpful. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

With the brief history mentioned by you, I do feel you could be suffering from the post nasal drip secondary to the sinusitis.

The general features of sinusitis include nasal block, post nasal discharge (trickling of the nasal secretions from behind the nose into the throat), headache, and sore throat, with or without fever. The gurgling sound that is coming from behind the throat could be due to opening and closing of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear). When you try to swallow the secretions coming from behind the throat the soft palate rises up and presses over the back of the nose, thus squeezing the secretions into the throat from behind the nose. And, simultaneously there is opening and closing of the Eustachian tube which gives rise to the feeling of gurgling.

Again, the feeling of sore throat is because of the post nasal drip. When the nasal discharge trickles into the back of the throat, it irritates the mucosa of the throat and causes inflammation of the pharyngeal wall. The inflamed mucosa gives the feeling of soreness.

The treatment of sinusitis is advocated depending upon the duration and type of the symptoms. I would advise you do steam inhalation and drink plenty of warm water; avoid chilled food and beverages, smoking and coffee for few days. You would require a course of antibiotics, saline nasal spray, a mucolyte and an antihistaminic.

Do not worry! These are the common symptoms of sinusitis, just follow the advice and if it does not subside in a couple of days, please do consult a good ENT specialist.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon