Gurgling in back of neck like water pipe with air in it

I have been hearing a gurgling, (like the sound water makes in a homes plumbing as it rushes along the pipes, especially when it might have air in the pipes) in the back of my neck.
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 59 minutes later
The like sounds are a common experience of almost everybody who are a bit watchful, it is normal if you can hear them in pin drop silence atmosphere say sitting alone at home, no TV, no Traffic sounds. These are commonly heard when you tilt your head to a particular posture.
These are the sounds of pulsating blood in the large cranial and vertebral arteries.
They gain clinical significance when they are present all the time, can be heard in the hustle bustle environments also, are heard in all postures of head, if you have other significant neurological symptoms or you have significant hypertension.
In first case you do not need worry.
In second case you must get a physical examination by a neurologist and should get investigated because such sounds can mean serious pathologies like Tumor, Large aneurysm, Arteriovenous malformation, AV Fistula to name a few.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.
Wish you a good health.