Ask a Dentist   »  

Gums bleeding. Prescribed different mouth rinses. Mouth feels sore and teeth feel sharp. What to do?

Yes MY gums are peeling for about 4 months and I have seen 3 dentists and a dental surgeon and a dental pathologist, all of which gave me different mouth rinses none have really helped. I would be so grateful if you could help! My mouth is sore and my tongue continually pushes the skin, sometimes it comes out. My teeth feel sharp.

I have taken Nystatin switch and swallow, Chorhexidine 0,12 Rinse 2x a day and milk of maginesia 3 parts to 1 of Benadryl. I have taken antibiotics to kill yeast also. I brush with sensadine toothpaste
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Peeling of gums could be due to poor periodontal (supporting tissues of teeth) health .Gum infections are due to Plaque, calculus, several bacterias, fungus and poor oral hygiene.Heredity also plays role in this.

The collagen tissues which are holding the teeth becomes very fragile and starts bleeding on minor touch.Also they get peeled off easily.

Please remember, the gum problem aggravates due to diabetes.

Mere antiseptic mouth washes,and antibiotics will not help much.It might require deep curettage and root planing too,apart from the treatment you are taking.

Therefore, before visiting any dentist please have your blood sugar reports.It is directly it should be under control,while receiving the dental treatment.

I would suggest you to visit your periodontist(dentist who deals with only gum related diseases),in this case first culture sensitivity test should be done .then antibiotics should be reconsidered before starting.

please let me know for further doubts.

Hope it helps.

Follow-up: Gums bleeding. Prescribed different mouth rinses. Mouth feels sore and teeth feel sharp. What to do? 5 hours later
Does the periodontist give me the culture sensitivity test and does he give me the antiobiotics?
Hello and thanks for reply.

yes, your periodontist will clinically evaluate the gum problem and its current presentation in various areas in, your mouth and if required might ask for culture sensitivity test.

Based upon the type of lesion and its severity,suitable antibiotics can be started.

I would also suggest you to carry your oral pathologists reports,which you have already got it done,and a recent blood sugar report is also needed,when you visit your periodontist.

Meanwhile please continue with your mouth rinses and maintain good oral hygiene.

please use very soft bristle brush with gentle strokes to brush your teeth,to minimize further damage to gum tissues.

Hope it helps.

let me know for further query.