Ask a Dentist   »  

Gum disease, loose teeth, deep cleansing, tooth extraction, severe dental problems. Treatment ?

Dentist, Endodontics
Hi iam an 37 year old male.,1.7 meters tall.
They diagnosed me with inflammotory gum disease,my teeth is becoming loose.
My front tooth that has become severly loose was bonded with the other front one.
They performed a XXXXXXX cleansing(flap surgery),now one of my lower front teeth is also becoming wigly, and is very painfull,
i have no other alternatife as to extract it,i flossand brush regularly,
They also mentioned being a diabetic can also leed to this scenario,but iam also not diabetic

What options do i have as i think i will loose all of my teeth eventually.....Iam also on cipralex 10mg,for major depression,
taking the medication for about 10 years now(i first was on cipramil 20mg).
Last week when i went for to my dentist again she told me of the possibility of the antidepressants,and gumdisease,so
i started to do some research on that,and came across the term xerostomia,as i find my mouth to be dry sometimes,and
i do breath through my mouth i think mostly.What worries me is the fact that this condition,loosing my teeth is caused by the
antidepressant,and that its ireversable now.My other teeth at the back are still fine,and the dentist told me the problem
is the ligaments,there is nothing wrong with the teeth itself.We are only treating the simptoms,now but i want to know the cause of all this.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Manisha Rao 21 hours later

It is really sad that you are suffering from severe dental problems. The first and foremost reason for loosening of the teeth is calculus deposits that leads to gum inflammation and gingivitis, which if ignored leads to periodontitis or infection in the bone and other ligaments around the teeth. in your case this may be the most probable cause since your mouth remains dry most of the times leading to a higher chance of calculus deposits around the front teeth or anteriors. Anterior or the front teeth are mostly affected by this condition.

The fact that your posterior or back teeth are unaffected also supports this probable diagnosis. Usage of antidepressants have not found to cause loosening of the teeth. Had it been a side effect of medication, all the teeth would be affected and not just anteriors.

Please consult a good Periodontist and get a Flap surgery done again. The other alternative is to get the loose teeth removed and replaced by fixed partial dentures or bridges.

Please maintain a good oral hygeine. Use Chlohex mouthwash daily and get thorough scaling and polishing done at regular intervals so that your posterior teeth do not get affected by this condition.

Take care !

Follow-up: Gum disease, loose teeth, deep cleansing, tooth extraction, severe dental problems. Treatment ? 1 hour later
Hi doc,thanks for the response,i really appreciate.
Will bonding of the teeth help,or is it just a temporary solution.What is the procudure of bridges.?Is there really no alternitive,as this is my front teeth,and i would hate going the route of dentures.The dentist put me on Corsodyl mouthwash.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Rao 16 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Will bonding of the teeth help,or is it just a temporary solution.

I do think it helps as the problem is not generalized , restricted to the front ones only and yes its a temporary solution.

What is the procudure of bridges.?

A bridge, also known as a fixed partial denture, is a dental restoration used to replace a missing tooth by joining permanently to adjacent teeth or dental implants.
WWW.WWWW.WW use this link for reliable information.

Is there really no alternitive,as this is my front teeth,and i would hate going the route of dentures.

The best suited for you would be bonding as a temporary solution and the implants would be a permanent and best solution.

The dentist put me on Corsodyl mouthwash.

Corsodyl is ok, you can continue on the same.

Hope I answered your query completely ,

Wish you good health.