Growth on the side of uvula, no pain, chance of malignancy

My 17 year old son has a small growth on the side of his uvula.His family Dr. is sending us to a ENT.Should I be concerned?And its not red or infected looking.It does not hurt him,he only finds it annoying.What is this?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later
A small growth on the side of uvula with no pain, ulceration or change in size is most likely a benign growth like a mucosal tag, a wart or cholesteatoma. In some cases with a history of smoking or tobacco use this might be malignant.
A physical examination and excision biopsy is the best way to know the nature of the growth. If it is a wart then chemical cautery can also help your son.
You may get the initial physical examination, relevant tests and treatment done under care of ENT specialist as suggested by your primary physician.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.