Growth at entrance to vagina, swollen during period, bleeding when squeezed.

Question
I had a baby 6 month ago, I have just noticed a growth at entrance to vagina. I noticed it as it was swollen during my period but has since returned to a small fleshy growth. I tried to squeeze te other day and it bled a little then swelled a lot.
This is only growth I have. When it swells it becomes painful and uncomfortable
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 29 minutes later

I am happy to help with your question.

There are a couple of possibilities. The two most likely possibilities are a cyst or a polyp. Either one of those could cause the symptoms that you describe. If it is a polyp, then it can be removed and sent to be looked at under microscope to make sure that it is benign.

If it is a cyst, then he can be opened up and drained or, better yet, taken completely out so there's no chance for recurrence. Your doctor can properly diagnosis and provide definitive care. Until then, apply warm compresses when it is painful and swollen. And it is best not to squeeze it, since that can make matters worse.

I hope this answers your question. Please feel free to follow up if you have additional questions.

Best regards,
Dr. Schwartz

Follow-up: Growth at entrance to vagina, swollen during period, bleeding when squeezed. 2 hours later
Thank you. Are polyps common after childbirth?

I was concerned after reading lots of info online that it could be a wart. I take it you don't think it sounds like one?

I have had the same partner 5 years plus and have never shown any signs
Follow-up: Growth at entrance to vagina, swollen during period, bleeding when squeezed. 10 hours later
Hi did you get my
Question

Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 54 minutes later

I understand you are too much confused about the static content available for free online. Put yourself at ease now.

Let me explain you that, only genital wart can typically take the position that you have. However the surface is not smooth rather wrinkled (we call it verrucous). They are usually painless unlike the growth that you have. Also the chance of it being genital wart is less. Since you have same partner for 5 years the chances are even lesser.

If you are comfortable, you can attach a picture of the growth.

Hope this information settles your mind and look forward for helping you in future too.

Thank you for your reply. I have just attended doctors surgery and she states it is merely a skin tag left over from having a child. I have obviously irritated it when I have squeezed.

I will accept you answer.

Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 3 hours later

Skin tags are harmless condition. If you want, you may choose to remove them.

I hope I have been helpful in dealing with this problem and I am happy that you have found your answer. If you like my answers and wish to post your queries in the future, you are welcome to ask me by posting them to my attention (please mention "ATTN: Dr. XXXXXXX Schwartz" to your queries).

Wish you good health and good luck