Growing lump on side of neck. Could it be a lymphoma?

My husband has a slow growing lump on the left side of his neck... It is about 2cm now and it has been growing for 4 years... (I first noticed it in 2008).
Could it be a lymphoma?
I am concerned.
We do not have medical insurance...
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 30 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Could you please attach the photo of the swelling so that I can help you better

Also please let me know the following details

1. Where exactly is the lump? below the angle of the jaw? Above the base of the neck? etc ( you need not answer this if you are attaching the photo)
2. Is the lump hard or soft in consistency? Is it movable?
3. Is it painful to touch?
4. Any history of malignancy in his family?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Growing lump on side of neck. Could it be a lymphoma? 7 minutes later
Hi! Thanks for your fast reply!
The lump is not visible so I cannot attach a photo...
It is above the base of the neck, on the left side.
I can feel it right under my index finger and move it a little bit...
It does not feel very hard but it is not soft either...
What concerns me is the fact that it has been there for the past four years and it appears to be growing a third of a centimeter per year, give and take...
My husband refuses to ser a doctor.
I used to be a med student and I am concerned.
There are cases of cancer on his family but not immediate family members.
Thank you so much!
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 12 minutes later

Thanks for the detailed reply

A significant lymph node of the neck region should be atleast 1.5 cm in radius, matted, not movable and tender. The description given by you does sound like a lymph node however since it does not fit into the category of a significant lymph node I think there is little to worry about right now. In lymphoma we expect more than just 1 lymph node to get enlarged.
Please avoid squeezing, touching or poking it constantly as this also causes it to enlarge
However if the lymph node keeps growing in size I strongly suggest that you see a general surgeon immediately

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me I will be happy to reply