Growing lump on nose, hard, painless, no broken or red skin

ENT Specialist
Question
For the last six months I have had a growing lump on the tip of my nose. It is to the left side. At first it just felt like a little grain but now is the size of a small pea. It is a hard mass under the skin (not a spot). It doesn't hurt when touched and the skin is fine not broken or red. It has recently spread down the area between my nostrils which is now enlarged and hard. If I look up my nose I can see that the left nostril is now a different shape to the other nostril as the lump seems to be pushing it out of shape. My husband says the lump is now more noticeable than a few months ago. I now have a noticeable 'divot' in the middle of the tip of my nose where the left hand side is raised.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The skin of the tip of the nose has abundant sebaceous glands which may hypertrophy or develop a chronic granulomatous infection.

2. You have to get the interior of your nose examined by a local ENT specialist to check if there is any XXXXXXX spread.

3. Imaging, cultures and biopsy will be required to rule out many conditions which can cause deformity of the tip of the nose. The most common conditions which need to be ruled out are Sebaceous Cysts, early Rhinoscleroma, early Rhinophyma. There are many other rarer conditions which may affect the skin and the cartilages of the tip of the nose.

4. You may share a close up images of the tip of your nose here. The 'divot' usually represents scarring, infiltration or tethering of the skin to the underlying tissue.

I hope I have answered your query. Please reply back with the answers and I will be able to help you further.

Regards.