Group B Beta strep, hysterectomy, vaginal bleeding, painful. Cancer or diabetes?

This is my third time being diagnoised with Group B Beta Strep. I have had a hysterectomy several years ago but vaginal bleeding and pain. Is there a chance this is a symptom of something worse such as cancer,diabetes,etc?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Repeated bacterial infections definitely are suggestive of some immunodeficiency state which needs to be investigated.

Since you are a diabetic, that puts you at an extra risk of having recurrent infections. Enlarged spleen needs to be investigated if you are not having a history of recurrent fevers.

I would suggest you to have all the routine tests under the guidance of your GP to find the cause of hepatosplenomegaly and check the blood glucose levels also.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Group B Beta strep, hysterectomy, vaginal bleeding, painful. Cancer or diabetes? 11 hours later
I appreciate your advice and will get these tests done immediately. I am however concerned about the vaginal bleeding after intercourse and the pain in my pelvic area and right side. I did have a hysterectomy with uterus and ovaries removed. They left the cervix which perplexes me due to the history of severe dysplasia. My question is do I need to be overly concerned about that matter and does the beta strep infections have anything to do with what is going on there?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 40 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Bleeding after intercourse can be due to cervical dysplasia or chronic cervicitis as well as due to repeated streptococcal infections the mucosa may have turned fragile causing bleeding on contact.

You need to have a pap smear and get yourself examined by your gynaecologist for any local vaginal lesions or chronic cervicitis.

The cause of pain in right side lower abdomen can only be diagnosed by an ultrasound scan as there can be an ovarian cause or pelvic inflammation might be there.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.