Groin discomfort during acidity and stomach problem, groin swelling, coughing while lifting weight. Is it hernia?

General Surgeon
I am doubtful of symptoms i am having as Hernia. I didnt consult any surgeon but when consulted a gastro enterologist he suggested me to visit a surgeon suspecting to be inguinal hernia. I feel inconvinient in groin area in the morning. Acidic(Gas) formation in left side groin area. if there is no acidity or stomach problem no inconvinience. Earlier if any such inconvinience i used to experience in stomach area. I feel swelling at left groin area in the morning or whenever I have to stand for more time or by the time of lifting weight or when I get cough. Is it hernia? if so any remedy with medicine? i heard most of hernia operations failed. since mine is sales/marketing job if surgery is going to affect my movments, its difficult. I heard we are not supposed lift weight or bend after surgery. I have not checked severity of the problem. Are there any tests to find out the problem or severity of this. kindly suggest me course of action.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 6 hours later

A swelling in the groin region, which appears whenever one has to stand for prolonged periods, during lifting weights, doing a strenuous work or while coughing suggests a hernia. Swelling in the early mornings is not so common a feature with a hernia.

In case of a hernia, a cough reflex (A physical examination finding, wherein the swelling will increase in size momentarily, if you cough) is always present, except in case of an obstructed or a strangulated hernia.

Hernia can present with simple inconvenience or swelling in the groin region, it is a very common problem and is seen in many people.

A hernia develops due to a weak point in the abdominal wall. Through this weak point the contents of the abdominal protrude outwards, and this is called as a hernia.

No medicine can cure it, best treatment is surgery, i.e,. Hernioplasty (Repair of hernia with a mesh).

Failure rate or recurrence rate with Hernioplasty is very less, less than 1%.

After two to three months you can do all your jobs without any problem or hesitation, The surgical procedure will no longer hamper your movements or your routine activity. Six months after the surgery, one can even lift weights and do unrestricted strenuous physical activity. Routine bending and daily activities can be resumed as early as 2 weeks following the surgical repair of the hernia.

Complications and side effects of this surgery are quite low, and it can even be done as a day care procedure. Meaning, you do not even have to get admitted to the hospital and you will not have to stay in the hospital for even 24 hours.

I suggest you consult a surgeon and go for the surgery without any hesitation.

Surgery is not going to affect your job at all.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Please accept this answer if you have no additional concerns at this time.

Wishing you good health and trouble free speedy recovery.