Groin and abdomen pain, burnt while urinating. WBC count elevated. Why is it coming back?

painabout a month ago my groin and abdomen had pain. it also burned when I urinated. I didn't have any discharge from my penis but it felt like I did. I went to the doctor and they took a urine sample. they said my white blood cell count was elevated and put me on a 10 day antibiotic.
now the feeling is back but it doesn't burn when I urinate. it's just the nagging pain in my groin, stomach, legs, and penis. I also have had has t much more than usual since it's onset.
my test results came back fine from the first doctor's visit.
Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 5 hours later
Your symptoms are indeed suggestive of a urinary tract pathology, and infections or urinary stones usually present in this manner. If you have persistent discomfort, even if there is no burning while urinating, you will benefit from having an Ultrasound examination of your kidneys and urinary bladder. A Complete Blood picture and Complete Urine Examination will tell us if the features of urinary infection are present or have they disappeared. A rectal examination for an inflamed prostate also might be required. Patients with prostate infections manifest symptoms similar to what you have described.
I suggest you take plenty of oral fluids, if you are not already doing so. Try to maintain a urine output which is clear, colourless. You could some mild analgesics for your lower abdominal discomfort.
Hope I have been of help. Let me know if you have any further issues to be clarified.
Follow-up: Groin and abdomen pain, burnt while urinating. WBC count elevated. Why is it coming back? 1 hour later
thank you very much for the information. I'm not exactly clear on what analgesics are. Other than those and the fluids is this something I should go back in for further testing for? Thank you in advance.
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 4 hours later
Analgesics mean 'pain-killers', the mildest of them is Paracetamol or acetaminophen - locally available as Tylenol or other brands. Some people may need relatively stronger pain-killers if the pain is more severe. Some may need mild anti-spasmodics if the lower abdominal spasms are severe enough to stop work. I suggest you take about 250ml of water every hour during daytime and about 400-500ml for every hour in the evening till you get to bed. This will hopefully get you to have 3-4 litres of fluids in 24 hours, and we should aim to have a urine output which is clear. Cranberry juice is supposedly useful in similar scenarios, and is now available as over-the-counter supplements in most drug stores.
Hope this has been of help!