Grinding noise in spine when having sex. No family history of arthritis. Pain in spine

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I have noticed a grinding noise in the middle section of my spine, when I'm making love. There is no pain and my partner cannot hear any noise. It distracts me and concerns a somewhat. I am a healthy 64 year old male, not on any medication, normal blood pressure, ideal weight, active, I come from a large family with no history of arthritis. I eat a healthy diet, although I do smoke. I have in the past had severe pain for short periods in the same area which only lasted for very short periods and was relieved by rest. There were many years between these episodes and was not disabled in any way.
Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 53 minutes later
The grinding noise in the middle section of your spine is the gliding of joints as you turn your neck. If your joint has been injured or becomes inflamed, the surface may thicken, creating a rubbing sound as you move. A courser noise may indicate more advanced changes in the surfaces of one or more joints. Such changes can be caused by osteoarthritis (OA) or spondylottic changes.
OA can happen from normal wear and tear or changed joint alignment (due to an injury, or when your muscles are tense or in spasm, or from poor spine postures that have been used over the years). A physical therapy program to help with your posture and muscle balance can improve movement in your neck and may help stop the noise.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Grinding noise in spine when having sex. No family history of arthritis. Pain in spine 21 hours later
The grinding noise comes from the middle of my cheat, roughly level with by breast bone, not my neck. It is possible I injured my spine in my twenties . . I leapt over a high fence and landed on my feet, but was immobillised with pain for a short while, but carried on with my journey to work. I was also a keen gymnast at school. One thing a I have noticed that after a cycle ride I sometimes feel tingling in my left hand. I have thought up until now the tingling may be caused by stretching the tendon while cycling . . maybe I'm wrong?. One other odd thing that would happen after a long walk of 4 or 5 miles, was to feel a sudden shock down both my arms . . this shock would happen if I coughed or cleared my throat whilst walking, the sensation would disappear almost immediately. This happened nearly 30 years ago. I decided it was better to ride my cycle rather than walk as there was not so much shock to my spine when walking on hard tarmac, I've never felt it since. The other times I have had sudden severe back pain have been when I have been very anxious or under stress. Fortunately this has not happened for many years. I'm hoping this will not restrict me in the future.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The mild tingling in the hand after cycling could be related to a minor nerve irritation or compression at the level of cervical spine. Mild exercises and changing the position of the arm will bring relief.
The back pain during stress is usually related to muscle spasms. This is usually relieved when you are stress free and has no long term effects.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.