Grey discharge after mirena iud insertion. Should I be worried?

Mar 2016

I have the Miranea IUD. I've had it since dec. 6th 2011. Ive been having this odd discharge that is grey. Should I be worried?
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am giving answer to your query.

Mirena is more than 99% effective at preventing unwanted pregnancy. On the other hand, it can cause vaginal and pelvic infection (PID), associated with brown or gray discharge between period.

Brown or gray discharge is one of unpleasant side effects of Mirena. Any woman can experience this type of discharge in first 6-12 months of using IUD.

If it is associated with bad smell, then it suggests pelvic infection. Here you should undergo swab test for vaginal discharge, urine routine & microscopic to rule out underlying pathogens. A pelvic examination is also needed to be carried out by your consulting doctor. Proper antibiotic therapy and maintenance of genital hygiene are the mainstay of the treatment.

In case of long term gray discharge, you may need to remove Mirena to get relief.
Please consult with your gynecologist regarding this and take suggestive measures.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen