Grey detritus in urine, held together by mucus , ringlets, excellent kidneys

Question
My urine shows traces of grey/black detritus. It looks like bits of spiderweb, may be held together by mucous, tends to float in tiny dime-sized ringlets which quickly disappear when physically disturbed, Recent ER doctor said my kidneys were excelent. About a year ago a urine sample reported all elements within range. I am 81 years old, 6' 1", 190 lbs.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 45 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query,

From the description provided it seems that you have observed casts in the urine.

Urinary sediment from healthy people contains a small number of cells and other debris shed from the inside of the urinary tract. These ultimately combine with urine protein and form casts which are normally excreted in the urine.

In case you do not have any symptoms or medical conditions like hypertension or renal diseases, then there is no need to be worried about.

Since you have been tested one year back and they were normal. There should be nothing to be worried about.

But in case of any doubts, you can consult your Physician, who can do a urinalysis and this might help to clear all of your doubts.

I hope this answers your question effectively.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Dr. Anvekar.