Green discharge from eye, red eye, unable to open eyelid. Causes ?

About a month ago, I came home in the middle of the day from running errands and my left eye felt funny. I went and looked in the mirror and found it was draining a XXXXXXX thick substance and was red. I cleaned the eye and put drops in it, but the substance continued draining for the rest of the day. The next day, the drainage had stopped but the eye was red. I continued to treat it with drops and eventually the redness went away. However, I began having a problem where I would wake up in the middle of the night and could not get my left eyelid open. This happened, and is still happening, several times a week. I have no drainage and the eye is not red. What could be the problem?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 22 hours later

The problem, to begin with, about a month ago was Acute Conjunctivitis, which could have been allergic with super added bacterial infection.

Presently you are left with some post conjunctivitis effects, which are compounded by your basic background problems.

Hypothyroidism per se can cause dryness of the eye. That will be taken care of by lubricant eye drops. I presume that when you get up in the morning there no discharge in the eye.That will mean there is no remaining infection in the eye.

So your problem appears to be post conjunctivitis dryness of the eye and the treatment would be artificial tear supplements like Tears Naturale,or Tears PLUS EYE DROPS which can be put in 5-6 times a day.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any difficulty please do get back to me.