Grayish loose stools, no change in diet, taking MSM

Hi. i am 56 yrs.old female. Over 6 wks. I have been having loose stool 3-4 times a day. for appr. 2 wks. the stool kooked like undigestive food now is loose, gray color and my stomach or intestines are making funny niise. I have not changed my diet but i sart taking MSM 3000 mg a day.Need help
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 35 minutes later

I understand your concern.

The basic side effects of MSM are headache and diarrhea. Since you have introduced this supplement recently , it is most likely to be the reason of diarrhea that you are having for last 2 weeks. This a mild side effect of MSM and usually disappears after the drug is discontinued.

The funny noise in your intestines is most likely due to the increased peristalsis associated with diarrhea.

MSM is not approved by FDA for joint pains. Its full side effects have not been studied. So I would advise to discontinue its use. Meanwhile for symptomatic relief, replenish your lost fluids orally and have boiled low fat easy to digest food.

If the symptoms are worsening or if you develop fever or extreme tiredness and weakness, you must go to the emergency room without delay.

Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you may have.