Grayish and bluish patches on buttocks. There is no pain or swelling. What can it be?

On the inside of both my left and right butt cheeks about and inch down from my back I have what seems to be a greyish or blueish patch of skin. It's on both sides and each side is nearly identical to the other. Any ideas? Not sure if it's always been there or not. No pain, swelling, or any thing out of the ordinary as far as I can tell.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

This pigmentation can either be a simple post inflammatory pigmentation (due to scratching or friction) or it may be lichen planus (just a distant possibility as the colour is greyish blue).

In skin conditions it is very important to see the lesion for a more appropriate diagnosis. Can you please upload a pic of the lesion on the query page or mail it to me at YYYY@YYYY SUb: Attn Dr Gaurang.

I will be in a better position to understand your problem then and will be able to suggest you better.

In the meantime you apply an emollient like Petrolatum twice daily over the lesion.
Awaiting your response
Follow-up: Grayish and bluish patches on buttocks. There is no pain or swelling. What can it be? 2 hours later

Thank you for the prompt reply. I've uploaded the photo as requested.

Post inflammatory pigmentation makes sense since that general area has been very itchy for the longest time. I have previously scratched so hard in that general area that I have rubbed the area raw and to the point it has scabbed.

The darkened spots themselves don't seem to feel abnormal in any way. Not raised, lumpy, elevated, leathery, scaly, or anything like that. At least not to the point where I can tell.

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 3 minutes later
Hello Mr Denis,

thanks for the good resolution pic.

These indeed is Post Inflammatory pigmentation only.

It goes with time. You have to avoid scratching the area for a faster resolution..

Keep the area moisturized and clean.

You may use petroleum jelly or oil or paraffin 2-3 times daily for a healthier skin.

I hope I have I answered your query.

If you have any further question, please do not hesitate to ask me.

Thanks and Regards