Grandson always has a habit of twirling hair. How to get rid of it?

My 4 year old grandson's hair got a little long, and he started twirling it. He had always twirled it when falling asleep but started doing it 24/7. We got into the hairdresser and his hair is his normal short length now (not buzz but boy short) and he is still twirling essentially non-stop. Should we be concerned, ignore it, or what? We have suggested the kids may make fun of him at preschool if he does not tone it down a little, and he seems to consciously try to do so right after we say that, but within 30 seconds he is back at it. He is a happy, funny, smart child but I AM worried that it will make social problems for him.
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: relax Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for your query. I understand your concern. Such kind of behavior is sometimes seen in toddlers and it is normal. I suggest you to do following things. -ignore him when he is doing this but try to engage him in some kind of constructive activity like playing with blocks. -spend time with him as sometimes loneliness also increase such activities. -do not scold him as it will potentiate his behavior -reward him for not doing this by taking him out for ride/playing with him/telling stories/giving him his favourite food or toy. With time his habit will go.. Hope I have answered your query,let me know if you have any further question. Wishing your child good health. God bless...
Follow-up: Grandson always has a habit of twirling hair. How to get rid of it? 26 minutes later
Thank you so much!!
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: You are always welcome... Wishing you and your family good health. Take care...