Gram cocci in clusters, vaginal infection post sex, sexually transmitted disease

Question
My boyfriend has been diagnosed with gram + cocci in clusters, is this a sexually transmitted disease
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 34 minutes later
Hello

From the history given it is not clear where the swab is taken out from.

It has to be specified whether the bacteria was detected in the urine , urethral swab, blood, or some thing else. Also it has to be mentioned if it was a culture or a microscopic examination of the given sample.

But since you are interested in knowing about STDs, I would assume that this could be a URINE or URETHRAL discharge specimen, and its either a microscopy or culture sensitivity test.

To start with, Gram Positive bacteria, seen in clusters is a classic presentation of staphylococci and these are not usually transmitted as STDs.

In Addition, Staphylococci Epidermidis , a subspecies of staphylococci is a common contaminant of urine samples as it is a commensal (non infective organism) present commonly on the skin (specially the perineal region).

Hence the presence of staphylococci in the urine or urethral sample would not be a Sexually transmitted infection.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Gram cocci in clusters, vaginal infection post sex, sexually transmitted disease 3 hours later
I had a blood test and gave a semen sample, and I was prescribed Augmentin, the reason I was worried was because I had intercourse with my girlfriend after I had finished the antibiotics and 3 days after this she had a very bad irritation that didnt clear with over the counter medication for thrush and she is worried that I have given her an infection.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 24 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

From the additional history provided, it could be that she has got a urinary infection due to bacteria. And this is in no way related to any STD.

UTI s are common following sexual intercourse and they are more common in women. A urine culture of your girlfriend if done, can help to know the cause of the infection and specific treatment can be initiated. She might need a course of antibiotics for treatment of the urinary infection and this will resolve the symptoms.

So you can relax, and let her know that this is not related to any STD at all.

Wish you and your girlfriend a speedy recovery.