Grainy, sand-like eruptions on the back, getting enlarged, itchy. What type of trauma is this?

Could you give me any info concerning grainy, sand-like skin eruptions mostly on my back, that later become enlarged and very itchy? My dermatologist says it is the result of trauma. What would the diagnosis be, and I don't understand what type of trauma is being referred to. Thanks!!
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 18 minutes later
Hi Dear,
I will try to work on the questions that you have today but I would like to know few more things as this would help me in suggesting you better, so I request you to answer the following.

a) Do you have any symptoms like burning/itching /ulceration?
b) Are these lesions growing in size or stationary?
c) For sjogrens syndrome are you on any treatment?
d) Are you on any other drugs?

According to description provided by you these lesions appear to be Xerosis and eczematization. A benign change, requiring application of moisturizers.
However there can be many other conditions with similar presentation.
I would suggest that you visit your general practitioner or a dermatologist so that the lesion can be examined and appropriate therapy can be prescribed.

It would be great if you could upload a picture of the lesion (close up and good resolution) using the “Upload your reports” section on the right. Alternatively, you can email them to me at YYYY@YYYY with the following subject ATTN to Dr Sudarshan.

Please do write back to me with the answers so that I can suggest you better.

Awaiting your response.

Dr Sudarshan