Gradual recovery in BP after running on treadmill. Is the recovery time normal? Taking Nebivolol for sinus tachycardia

Thanks for your clarification, re your last email in which you explained to me the following :
"Your hear rate can go up to 220- Age that is 189 (also called Target Heart Rate THR in terms of stress test). Only problem would be that heart rate does not fall below 100 say after 5 minutes of rest.

That much variation in BP is expected problem would be if BP does not return to normal after 5 minutes of rest"
May be I worry little bit sometimes , so I just monitored my RECOVERY time after running on the treadmill , and I found my Blood pressure back to normal 125/ 80 after 10 minutes from stopping my exercise . It was going down gradually . and after 10 minutes it was 125/80 ) , as for my pulse it was in the 85 - 90 after 12 minutes .
Does that Recovery time is normal ? as I informed you before I'm on medication ( 2.5 mg of Nebivolol) for sinus tachicardia ) and my last 24 hours ECG and EKG was normal .
so does my readings seems normal to you ?
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 6 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Very astute observation.
Short Answer is : yes the recovery not only appears normal to me it is Normal.

Let me try to explain using a little technical jargon. Please ask a supplementary query I will try again. Otherwise you can write to me on my personal address YYYY@YYYY . I will upload diagrams and explain the whole thing.

Heart is a pump. It's output is stroke volume (blood ejected per beat) x Heart Rate
Where as BP is Stroke Volume x Stiffness of your arteries. So we can surmise that rate pressure product that is BP x HR determines your output.

When you exercise your cardiac output increases proportional to the exercise as demanded by exercises muscle. During recovery, not only that need is withdrawn but peripheral resistance also falls as arteries in exercising muscle relax.

You have inherent problem of both blood pressure and due to sinus node in heart rate (in addition you are on drug which can blunt the rise thus delay the recovery) so recovery can be delayed. But you do not get symptoms even after short time. Therefore I am saying to me in your case blood pressure and heart rate are behaving in normal manner that is taking downward trend. In my opinion, I see absolutely no cause of worry. Had their been inappropriate fall or rise that would have been associated with symptoms of chest pain and giddiness.
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW