Grade 2 anterior cruciate ligament tear, grade 3 lateral collateral ligament tear, lateral meniscocapsular separation. Meaning?

Question
hello my husband had an injury Grade 2 anterior cruciate ligament tear, grade 3 lateral collateral ligament tear with lateral meniscocapsular separation on his left knee. can u pls advice
DO I need surgery ? or how long it will take to cure ? Is limping forever ? or can walk normally after how many days ?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 42 minutes later

Your husband has got injury to the anterior cruciate ligament (grade 2), grade 3 lateral collateral ligament tear with lateral meniscocapsular separation on his left knee.

Such injuries are usually due to twisting of the knee.

I am afraid, there is no medicines for treatment. Medicines are helpful only to relieve pain.

To improve mobility and limping, the only option is arthroscopy and repair of the injured ligaments. He should avoid all kinds of exertion till then as it can wosen the injury and pain.

Once surgery is done, pain and limping improved by almost 90 -100 %. You wont have to limp for ever.

So its worth it.

Hope this answers your query. Please get back if you need any further information.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran