Gout attack on the big toe, high UA, stopped drinking alcohol. Is it a lifetime gout pain ?

Question husband got an gout attack on his big toe last week or so,on doctors guidance he got his uric acid test done which his UA was way above ..was 10.08.
As he is a regular alcohol drinker ,doc told him to stop it immediately
which he did and hasn't touched it for 10days and is under medication for the same.
i wanted to know will this gout pain subside or will completely go away once the UA drops,or would it be a lifetime pain?
also,he is been having very high BP of late,coz of which yesterday one of the artery btwn this brain nd nose busted and he was bleeding heavy from nose till the ENT operated him urgently yesterday . he is 50years old.why this bleeding all pf a sudden?
please help with your advice.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

Regarding the gout pain let me reassure you that the pain will subside with some time. Sometimes we have to use a combination of medications to relieve the inflammation and help the body clear the uric acid. These medications include allopurinol, prednisone, indomethacin or colchicine. In patients who have persistent pain I often use prednisone for 3 to 5 days and patients do well. I would advise you inquire from his physician if that may be an option. I agree with the lifestyle modification of lowering alcohol intake. I would also recommend you read a few articles online on how to modify diet in order to minimize exacerbations of gout.

As for the blood pressure, this could be related to pain which he has been experiencing from the gout. Pain can raise the blood pressure quite high. In addition it may also be possible that he has essential hypertension which is a condition that can develop over time and is somewhat linked to general health, diet and family history. I recommend he follow the blood pressure closely and at some point he may need to take some medication to bring it down. Generally, a low salt diet and regular aerobic exercise will minimize the need for medication but it will take some time to determine this for him. In the meantime I recommend he follow the advise of his doctor.

I thank you again for submitting the query and hope my response has sever to be adequate, informative and reassuring. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Gout attack on the big toe, high UA, stopped drinking alcohol. Is it a lifetime gout pain ? 10 hours later
hi ...I really dint get my answer so please advice on the which is-
1.will this gout pain subside or will completely go away once the UA drops,or would it be a lifetime pain? can Gout come back with pain once he starts his alcohol in limited quantity,as he is determined to start again once his UA drops.
2. Why did his artery busted,if it coz of High BP.. i mentioned that he is monitoring it on daily basis and will carry on doing so,but when the artery busted his BP was 140/90 which isn't high,then why?
3.any diet u recommend for not letting the attack of gout come back?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 14 hours later
Hello and thank you for the follow up question.

Regarding your question the pain from the Gout will certainly eventually go away. He will eventually be without pain.

There is no way to predict whether or not the gout will return with any alcohol intake in the future. I would say that if gout is somehow connected with any alcohol intake he may have to consider discontinuation of any alcohol intake. This is something which must be considered very strongly.

Regarding the broken blood vessel there are a number of factors which may have contributed to this. Certainly a mildly elevated blood pressure even at the degree of 140/90 might contribute to this kind of thing. Also a dry environment may also contribute to this. Finally a small bit of trauma to the nose whether it be outside or inside the nose could cause a mild degree of bleeding.

I will provide you with a link to a website which provides excellent examples of good diets to follow for patients who have had issues with the doubt. I encourage you to read this over very thoroughly and consider what you might incorporate into the diet for him.

The link is as follows:
I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert