Got wrist injury. Noticed inflammation with pain and feels hard to touch. Any thoughts?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had a fall about 15 days back and have hurt my left wrist. the inflammation is still there on the lower palm on the left side. It pains when i press it. Also i feel that place is little hard as if something is there. when i compare this spot with my right palm i can feel the difference. Also when i move my wrist to extreme positions it hurts. attaching the xray for your review. please let me know your thoughts.
Posted Sun, 13 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 17 hours later
Thanks for posting your query and your x XXXXXXX

There does'nt seem to be any obvious fracture. I'm sure the report says the same. There's a possibility to have a hairline undisplaced fracture to go unnoticed, so do not take that as a final diagnosis.

The hardness and the pain could be due to blunt trauma to the bone or soft tissue around it leading to break in capillary blood vessels which in turn give rise to haematoma (internal bleeding and clot). Rest assured it will subside in a week more. But if you have persistent pain, please go ahead and confirm the diagnosis with CT scan.

Even if there is a fracture, all you have to do now is to allow it to rest and avoid working with left hand. Use anti inflammatory medications prescribed by your physician for few days. Try not to get it in extreme positions unless required. Use of crepe bandage can prove beneficial. Occasional hot fomentation is recommended. Begin movements of wrist gradually.

Hope this answer was informative. For any further queries, I'm available for follow up.