Ask a Dentist   »  

Got wisdom tooth extracted. On medication. Pain not getting cured. Looking for advice

Dentist, Pedodontics
I have got my wisdom tooth extracted on Sunday the 15-July.The wisdom tooth was on the Right hand side bottom which was decayed badly hence got extracted by a Oral Surgeon after being on Antibiotics & pain killers for 5-6 days to get the infection /pain reduced.However after the Extraction i was adviced to take Pain Killer Diclomol for 3 days which i am completing it today .The query is even after 2 days of being on Pain killer after extraction the pain is still persisting ,However pain killer help reduce it though.Kindly advice what do i do continue taking pain killers or just wait for couple of days .
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Amitabha Chakraborty 1 hour later

Pain after wisdom tooth extraction is common. This occurs as a result of inflammation caused by the extraction procedure itself. The intensity and duration of pain gradually reduce and disappears.

However if some amount of bone was removed then the post-operative pain or if there is some wound contamination the pain may persist. One can have some amount of swelling and fever with these conditions. You have not reported any swelling or fever. Let me know if you have some amount of swelling which is gradually increasing or if you develop fever.

You may continue Diclomol for two more days and hopefully your pain should subside. In addition icing the part might give added benefits. If the pain persists or any of the aforementioned symptoms arises, it warrants attention by your doctor to rule out localised infection.

Hope I am able to respond properly to your query. Please feel free if you have any further query.

Follow-up: Got wisdom tooth extracted. On medication. Pain not getting cured. Looking for advice 1 hour later
Thanks a lot for the quick response.I have mild swelling but no Fever as of now.
I was worried on continuing on Pain killer as i have already on pain killers since 10 Days now.Kindly advice if it safe to continue on the Pain killer for 2 more day.
Answered by Dr. Amitabha Chakraborty 2 hours later
Mild swelling is still there because as I have stated, that there might be some bone removal during the wisdom tooth extraction. I don't understand why your doctor prescribed analgesic in full course from 7 days before the surgery. This is not a regular practice amongst the dentists.

In any case, if you have reducing pain at this stage you can use Diclomol as and when required. But using Diclomol twice daily in full stomach for two more days does not cause any additional harm.

Hope this address your main concern. Let me know if you have more.