Got very nauseated, dizzy, hot and fainted. Have a headache now. What is the blood sugar normal range?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Around 5 pm I got very nauseas, dizzy, and hot. It passed, I ate dinner, and after dinner I checked my blood sugar. It was 78, is That normal.? I feel better now, besides a headache
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi there.

When was the last time you had a complete meal ?

Do you experience any tremor of the hands ?

Do you have diabetes ?

Are you on any medication ?

There are many causes for the above mentioned clinical picture. Feeling dizzy and nauseous could be due to something you ate, low blood sugar, infections in the body, dehydration etc.

Your blood sugar is in the normal range but is still approaching towards lower limit. Normal blood sugar ranges from 70-125mg/dL.

If you were having symptoms of low blood sugar or hypoglycemia, you would have a severe headache, tremors of the hands, profuse sweating, nausea, vomiting etc.

If you feel like you are developing a fever, it would be best to take an Acetaminophen tablet under medical supervision, for relief. It could mean you have an infection. Commonly sinus infections, nasal infections, throat infections would cause this. It would be best to seek medical help and get a thorough clinical examination and proper management if your condition returns.

Acetaminophen will definitely give relief for your headache as well. If you have any nasal problems, you may try steam inhalation for relief.

Kindly do reply to my queries for me to be in a better position to help you.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Got very nauseated, dizzy, hot and fainted. Have a headache now. What is the blood sugar normal range? 13 hours later
I do not have diabetes, nor am I on any meds. I had lunch around 2pm, the symptoms occurred around 5pm. I ate a full meal around 7pm, and my blood sugar was 78 about an hour later. I did not experience any hand tremors, but I did have a headache, sweating, and nausea. I haven't developed a fever.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 5 minutes later
Hi there.

The symptoms described could be due to onset of possible stomach flu.

It would be best to drink plenty of fresh fruit juice. Avoid spicy, sweet or oily food for a few days till your symptoms subside. Keep well hydrated.

If your symptoms get worse or recur, it would be wise to get a thorough physical examination and necessary tests to diagnose and manage the condition.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wishing speedy recovery.