Got up with feeling that body was cut in half, had pain around stomach and back. Suggest?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have got up this morning with a feeling that my body has been cut in half,so much pain around my stomach/back,felt as if there was a weight lay on me.....
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are number of possibilities.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Based on brief description and your medical history, I suspect the following conditions for the cause of your pain -

* A herniated or prolapsed Lumbar disc ( this is the first possibility in your case )
* Acute lumbo sacral strain
* Fibromyalgia (as per your medical history, you already have it)
* Lumbar spinal stenosis
* Spinal tumours (rarest cause)
* Any intra abdominal causes

So, a detailed clinical examination and appropriate investigations are needed to arrive at a possible diagnosis.

In the meantime, Use some analgesic preparation like Advil or Aleve and Ice packing of the painful area once in 2 hours to alleviate the pain.

Hope I have addressed your query. I welcome any clarification

Follow-up: Got up with feeling that body was cut in half, had pain around stomach and back. Suggest? 32 hours later

Been to doctors and been told need more tests done and one is on the bone marrow at base of the spine.... what are they looking for?

Im back at the hospital on the 10/09 for MRI results with orathpetic team
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Investigations will spot your diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

As mentioned in my previous answer, detailed investigations are necessary to spot your diagnosis.

An MRI scan of Lumbar spine will pick up any sort of soft tissue pathology that may be causing you symptoms.

But I am surprised to see the bonemarrow test being ordered for you (may be, your treating doctors want to rule out any serious underlying conditions). Generally, Bone marrow tests (either aspiration or biopsy) are ordered to ruleout any blood disorders like Myelodysplastic syndromes, Aplastic anemia, thrombocytopenia etc and other bone cancers like Leukaemias, Lymphomas or Multiple myeloma etc. These are very rare conditions that may present with severe low back pain.

So, let us wait and see what the investigations will show up.

Good day